At Advantage Spine and Disc, we can help patients battling sciatica. Is sciatica pain weighing you down in Boise, ID? Book an appointment with our chiropractor for pain relief.
What Is Sciatica, and What Are the Symptoms?
Numerous nerves originate from the spine and travel to other body parts. If the nerve itself or the roots become trapped or compressed by something like disc herniation or spinal stenosis, you may experience pain, tingling, and numbness. This is how sciatica pain occurs. When the sciatic nerve is pinched, you experience pain that runs from the lower back to the legs through the buttocks. The other common symptoms of sciatica include:
- Numbness and tingling in the foot
- Pain that gets worse after sitting for a long period
- Weakness in the leg
- Reduced hip flexibility
If you have sciatica, you might have forgotten what a pain-free life feels like, but relief is always around the corner when you try chiropractic care services.
What Are the Risk Factors for Sciatica Pain?
While sometimes it isn’t clear why sciatica pain occurs, injuries to the back may cause the spinal structures to irritate the sciatic nerve, leading to pain. For instance, when the discs move out of place, they may compress the sciatic nerve, causing lower back pain.
The other risk factors for sciatica pain include:
- Obesity: Unhealthy weight puts pressure on the spine, causing sciatica.
- Pregnancy: Weight gain and loosening of the pelvic muscles may put pressure on the sciatic nerve, causing pain.
- Occupation: Lifting weights and sitting for an extended period may put undue pressure on the spine, causing pain.
- Diabetes: Diabetes may damage nerves in the body, and the sciatic nerve may not be spared
- Aging: Aging causes degeneration of the spinal joints and muscles. As a result, your bones may fracture, or discs may move, putting pressure on the sciatic nerve.
- Smoking: Tobacco intake puts you at risk of inflammation, which may trigger sciatica pain
How Does a Chiropractor Treat Sciatica Pain?
After the chiropractor establishes sciatica is the cause of your back pain, the next step is to devise a treatment plan. Here are treatments we may use to treat sciatica pain:
- Spinal manipulation: When your spinal joints are misaligned, they may put pressure on the sciatic nerve, causing pain. We align your spinal muscles to help take off pressure from the spinal nerves, reducing pain.
- Massage therapy: A chiropractor on our team may apply gentle pressure on your soft tissues to help massage away the sciatica pain.
- Lifestyle counseling: If your everyday life triggers sciatica pain, we recommend lifestyle tweaks to help manage sciatica pain.
Contact Us Sciatica Help from a Chiropractor on Our Team
Want help to bid goodbye to sciatica pain in Boise, ID? Book an appointment with us at Advantage Spine and Disc for pain relief. Call us at (208) 336-2225.